Wednesday, November 4, 2009

All the madness about Google Wave

I'm doing my masters and so have tons of assignments piling up and yet I've spent the last three hours on twitter and facebook trying to get myself a Google Wave invite. Adding random people, sending off my email address to people I would never give and all of that. At long last, someone said the invite has been sent and will take anything from two to ten days - interesting! Will it come? And more of a wait.!!??!!

I've been "googling" Google Wave and have come across an amazing number of blogs (for obvious reasons) and to be honest, I'm simple fascinated by Google!!

I am a marketing student and the fact that Google doesn't advertise it's products but relies on word of mouth is just brilliant.! The buzz Google Wave is making on everything from twitter to facebook to newspapers is magnificent. Takes you back to the basics of the Product Theory. You don't have to do a thing if your product is good and in Google's case, it's fantastic!!

As part of an assignment, I had to come up with an ad campaign and I seriously contemplated for my product to be bing.com. Researched on it and so went through a thousand videos/blogs/articles, with a decent number of them showing bing.com in light not as bad as I would have imagined. A few even wanted to switch to bing.com!!
I love challenges and thought marketing bing.com against Google.com would be fantastic, also because I know I am good when I need to convince someone! But Google has become a complete way of life for all. It broke my heart to try and even change the default search engine to bing.com and that's got nothing to do with the fact that I'm a woman. Go to any man and tell them to do it and they will cry like five year old boys who's G.I. Joe had been taken away from them!

Not surprising that Google Wave has all the buzz around it and yet's its got me engulfed. The buzz feels so festive that it seems like Christmas is already here!